Zion Baptist Church Photograph Collection, 1977-1978
The photographs in this collection were donated by George Williams, a long-time member of Zion Baptist Church. The photos were created circa 1977 and mostly document the transition of Zion Baptist Church from its original location to a newer and larger facility. The photos show the groundbreaking ceremony for the new church building and the ceremonial march from the old Zion Baptist Church building to the new building. The photos also show the ribbon cutting ceremony for the new chapel. Additonal photos document George Williams and family members over the years.
- Williams, George (1935 Feb. 22-) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research. Archival materials may contain sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state “right to privacy” laws. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals without the consent of those individuals may have legal cause for action if facts concerning an individual’s private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person. KSU archives staff have taken care to identify and, in some cases, remove sensitive information found within its archival collections when undertaking archival processing work. However, privacy protected information may be revealed during use of the archival collections, particularly in those collections that are unprocessed or have been minimally processed. Researchers agree to make no notes or other recordation of privacy protected information if found within the archival collections, and further agree not to publish, publicize, or disclose such information to any other party for any purpose if found within the archival collections. Researchers agree to indemnify and hold harmless Kennesaw State University and its officers, employees, and agents from and against all suits, claims, actions, and expenses arising out of use of archival collections held by the Kennesaw State University Archives
Biographical / Historical
Zion Baptist Church was organized in Marietta, Georgia in 1866 by 88 formerly enslaved people who had previously attended First Baptist Church prior to the abolishment of slavery. The first pastor of Zion Baptist Church was Reverend Ephraim B. Rucker. The old Zion Baptist Church, now a museum, was built in 1888 on after previous building destroyed by fire. A new church building was constructed across the street (Lemon Street) in 1978, and the old Zion building was placed on National Register of Historic Places in 1990. In the same year, Zion bought additional property that it later developed into a larger church building.
43 photographic materials : These photographic materials are digital only.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- African Americans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marietta (Ga.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Zion Baptist Church (Marietta, Ga.) -- History Subject Source: Gil
- JoyEllen Freeman
- 2018 March
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Kennesaw State University Archives Repository
1000 Chastain Road
Kennesaw GA 30144 GKJ