Publications. The Sting, 1948-2016
The Sting was the Southern Polytechnic State University’s (SPSU) student news publication from 1948 to 2016. The first issue, originally called The Technician, was published in September 1948. The publication has undergone several name changes: The Engineering Technician (beginning with the issue of February 20, 1964); Whatsizname? (beginning with the issue of September 24, 1973); Southern Seeds (only one issue on October 15, 1975); Unnamed (with two issues beginning October 22, 1975); and finally The Sting (beginning with the issue of November 5, 1975). Later with the consolidation of Kennesaw State University and Southern Polytechnic State University in January 2015, student publications were integrated, and The Sting was replaced by KSU Lifestyle with the September 2016 issue.
- Southern Polytechnic State University (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research. Archival materials may contain sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state “right to privacy” laws. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals without the consent of those individuals may have legal cause for action if facts concerning an individual’s private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person. KSU archives staff have taken care to identify and, in some cases, remove sensitive information found within its archival collections when undertaking archival processing work. However, privacy protected information may be revealed during use of the archival collections, particularly in those collections that are unprocessed or have been minimally processed. Researchers agree to make no notes or other recordation of privacy protected information if found within the archival collections, and further agree not to publish, publicize, or disclose such information to any other party for any purpose if found within the archival collections. Researchers agree to indemnify and hold harmless Kennesaw State University and its officers, employees, and agents from and against all suits, claims, actions, and expenses arising out of use of archival collections held by the Kennesaw State University Archives.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright for Official University records is held by Kennesaw State University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law. Permission to publish, reproduce, publicly display, broadcast, or distribute this material must be secured from the repository and/or copyright holder.
12 cubic feet (17 oversize flat boxes, 3 document cases)
Language of Materials
Issues for 1955-2011 were originally bound, and were unbound in 2014 as part of a digitization project.
Method of Acquisition
Transferred from the Southern Polytechnic State University to the Kennesaw State University Archives via a memorandum of understanding signed on August 4, 2014, and officially transferred on January 1, 2015 (Accession 15-009).
Other Descriptive Information
The collection is missing some issues and pages. For further detailed description of issues found in each box, see: The Sting inventory
Processed by: Armando Suarez, March 2017
- College student newspapers and periodicals -- Georgia -- Cobb County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College students -- Social life and customs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspapers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Southern Polytechnic State University -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Student life Subject Source: Saa
- Student publications Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Armando Suarez
- 2017 March
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- 2020 August: updated by Maggie Thomas
Part of the Kennesaw State University Archives Repository
1000 Chastain Road
Kennesaw GA 30144 GKJ